Saturday 15 December 2012

MYOG Bathtub Floor

After a couple of lessons with the sewing machine I've recently started making my own gear and have really been enjoying it. I've only made a handful of things to date, a few stuff sacks, some lanterns, a tarp, but I'm always on the look out for a new project. 

Once I'd ordered my Trailstar I started to think about additional gear I may need to go with it, I've got a Polycryo groundsheet to use but liked the idea of having a bathtub style floor to use as an alternative, plus I figured it could also be used under a tarp or maybe even inside my Laser Comp if I ever wanted to use it without the inner.

After having a look online I decided I'd have a go at making my own, all the necessary bits and bobs were gathered and sat on my desk for a while waiting to be used. Recently I finally got on with things and here is the end result.




It's the first time i've made anything out of Silnylon and it lived up to its reputation of being very slippery to work with, although it was a lot easier to handle/sew than I'd imagined it would be. The supports within the corners were made from 6mm nylon rod and the Lineloc 3 adjusters were threaded on to some grosgrain which was then sewed to the material. I think all in it probably took around 3.5-4 hours.

It's approx 220x80cm with a depth of 10cm, so there's room for a full length sleeping mat etc. I've got some material left so I may make another as whilst stitching the 3rd corner on this one I came up with a neater/easier way to sew them. Inc the stuff sack I made it comes in at 138g which is pretty good, packs down nice and small too. Quite pleased with how it's turned out!



Matt

6 comments:

  1. Nice work. Yes I find silnylon a lot easier to work with than some horror stories you hear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job. A bathtub floor is next to be used with my MLD SoloMid. What did you use for corner supports?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jermm, thanks for the comment, my MYOG floor is still going strong :-)
      I used nylon bar for the corner struts, worked well

      Delete
  3. Hi, just following Jermm's comment, I've been trying to find a source for the nylon bar you used for the bathtub corner struts. Can you remember where you got yours from?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen, apologies for the super late response, I missed your comment until now. The nylon bar I used came from ebay

      Delete
  4. Hi. I ran across your site while searching for MYOG inspiration. Great work. I'm now following you on IG. What type of silnylon (type/weight) did you use? Cheers! Amy

    ReplyDelete